Thursday, February 24, 2005

Liberal Dimwit Alert

WARNING: Liberal philosophy follows. It's ugly and distasteful, so read at your peril...

Thomas Naughton, columnist for the University of Massachusetts-Amhurst Daily Collegian, writes about those yellow "Support Our Troops" ribbons. He's a liberal, so you can guess his feelings about the ribbons. He sounds like a slightly more extreme version of Bob Sommer. If this is the direction the Libs want to go with their politics, I say fine. Here's a bit of what Naughton says:

I will never say, "support the troops." I don't believe in the validity of that statement. People say, "I don't support the war, I support the troops" as though you can actually separate the two. You cannot; the troops are a part of the war, they have become the war and there is no valid dissection of the two.

I look into the cars of people with "support the troops" ribbons as I speed past, trying to find some trace of recognition on their face, recognition of their guilt and the fact that they have given up. I usually see nothing; just a mouth moving robotically, singing the pop hits of today or the contemporary country wine of fake cowboys who share a lot with George Bush: no shame.

Those ribbons are yellow for a reason, they are not the mark of armed forces support, they are the mark of cowards.
For some reason, I think this guy probably sees Howard Dean as too centrist to be leading the Democratic Party.