Thursday, August 18, 2005

Telling It Like It Is

A handful of heroes - American troops stationed in Iraq - got the upperhand on NBC's Matt Lauer on yesterday morning's Today Show. Lauer tried to play up the angle that troop morale in Iraq is low. He seemed shocked when the soldiers contradicted that idea. Then, they seemed to shake him a bit when asked why Americans might think otherwise.

Captain Sherman Powell: "Sir, if I got my news from the newspapers also, I'd be pretty depressed as well."
Lauer: "What don't you think is being correctly portrayed?"
Powell: "Sir I know it's hard to get out and get on the ground and report the news, and I understand that, and I appreciate that fact. But for those of us who've actually had a chance to get out and go on the patrols and meet the Iraqi Army and the Iraqi police, and go on patrols with them we are very satisfied with the way things are going here and we are confident that if we're allowed to finish the job we started we'll be very proud of it and our country will be proud of us for doing it."
Those are the words of a soldier who is there, day in and day out, and knows the real story.

I think the real question is how they stay positive and motivated when they know the national media in this country, along with the libs and many in the Democratic party, want to see them fail.