Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Know Who You're Giving Your Money To

I know it's probably considered extreme, but I just hate spending my money at stores or on products that indirectly benefit liberal political causes. That's why I won't buy Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, and why I don't like Old Navy and Barnes & Noble. I don't want to knowingly support people and businesses that have a radically skewed vision of this nation.

The Libs themselves have helped me keep track of who I do and don't want to do business with. Through a web site called Choose The Blue, you can see just how much money the people you buy from are spending (2003-2004 election cycle) on political causes. Some examples, from the Retail Stores category from Choose The Blue...

Barnes & Noble - 98% of their donated funds went to Democratic candidates
Bed, Bath & Beyond - 93% to Democrats
Costco - 98% Democratic
Gap - 61% Democratic
Old Navy - 61% to Democrats

Circuit City - 96% to Republican candidates
Home Depot - 94% Republican
Sears - 76% To Republicans
Target - 73% to Republicans

There are tons of listings, from fast-food (Arby's, Starbucks and Sonic are heavy Blue) to car companies (all Red except Toyota). If you check it out, I hope your favorites fall on your side.

UPDATE : To address the comment posted by "Nemo", most of the information comes from the Federal Election Commission's web site (www.fec.gov) and from the Center for Responsive Politics (www.opensecrets.org). The liberal web site is posting it for their use, and I think it's priceless that we can use it to avoid their supporting businesses, if we choose.