Thursday, July 08, 2004

Windows XP

Aside from my Dad's surgery, there's another reason I haven't been able to post much recently. The Windows ME operating system on my computer finally cracked. It's the first system failure I've ever experienced. With all the problems I experienced with ME, I decided to install Windows XP. What an experience!

The installation took two hours Tuesday night, most of which I was downstairs watching TV. I have to admit I like XP so far. The two biggest problems I've encountered... First, I was forced to uninstall and reinstall my Norton Antivirus, Firewall and System Works programs. No biggie, just time consuming. Second (and bigger), Outlook Express no longer works. I get an error when I try to open it. I've reloaded, uninstalled, reloaded, edited the registry, worked on tips from the web... nada. But, it's okay. I solved that problem, along with the security issued involved with Outlook Express and Internet Explorer by switching to Mozilla.

The look is almost identical to IE, functions flawlessly so far and seems more intuitive. Also, the Windows XP version (don't know about Mac OS X) includes an e-mail program that I like as well as Outlook Express.

It's just been a couple of days, but I recommed you check it out. Even if you haven't had any big problems with IE.