Wednesday, May 26, 2004

After Some Reflection...

Perhaps I've been too hard, albeit unintended, on public schools and educators. I know so many people who work in public education, most as teachers. If any of my comments in this blog appear to show contempt for the work they do, I apologize. I will strive to be as fair as possible in any comments I make about public (government) education. However, I will continue to present stories of zero-tolerance inanity and other education-related issues, public school or otherwise. I shall do my best to let the stories speak for themselves. But you know me, I have little tolerance for stupid people. I will also endeavor to present stories that put schools and educators in a positive light. There are some really great schools and teachers out there.

Elementary school students in Ohio write letters to U.S. troops in Iraq, inspired by a local soldier who has been held captive there for over a month.

Teachers and parents at Rupert Elementary School in Pottstown, Pennsylvania collaborated on a plan to boost student achievement. They are focusing first on reading, which will make advancement in other subjects easier. Their plan has brought the school system a state grant to fund the project.

Last week, I told you about two columns Walter Williams wrote on educational ineptitude. Walter has another column this week, proposing what he calls "educational triage", allocating resources based on need as well as likelihood of success.

In Michigan, as many as 100,000 children are being home schooled. The kids are scoring quite high on standardized tests, and it it saving the state an estimated $600 million. An interesting read...